Try this for dinner tonight, Blue Cod with Karengo Salsa.
-6 fresh blue cod fillets
– Butter or oil as preferred (for frying)
– 8 tomatoes, finely chopped
– 1/2 telegraph cucumber, finely chopped
– 1 red onion, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp capers
– Handful flat parsley leaves
– 2 tbsp Pacific Harvest karengo fronds
– 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tsp dried chili flakes
– Juice of 1 lime
1. Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste. Set aside at room temperature.
2. Melt butter (or heat oil) in a fry pan over low (or medium) heat. Season the blue cod fillets with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Once the butter or oil is melted or heated, bring the temperature to medium heat and place the cod fillets in the pan.
4. Cook the fillets on both sides, carefully turning once, until the flesh has turned just white.
5. Serve the fish with generous portions of the salsa.
Tip: Cut in to one of the fillets once seared on one side, whilst cooking. Watch for the fillet to begin to turn white in the middle, and remove from the heat as soon as this occurs (the middle can remain slightly translucent). This ensures the fish will remain tender and succulent, and fall apart into medium flakes when eaten.
Blue Cod is Seafood New Zealand’s Fish of the Month. Find more recipes and information by visiting their website.
This recipe and photo is provided by Louise Fawcett of Pacific Harvest.
Categorised in: Uncategorized